Surprises are a fact of life. Many times they come in the form of a flat tire, a large bill or illness. However, you can make surprises work for you. More importantly, you can make the surprise benefit those around you. Think about those around you—your friends, your family, your co-workers. I bet they are so caught up in the daily act of living and getting by that they don’t have time to stop and enjoy the sunshine.
You can give them a good shock to their day with a little surprise that costs little to nothing, and takes almost no time to do. Having my own business keeps me very busy, but I always like to take time out to make someone’s day better.
Things to try:
- A note in a work bag or lunch box
- An e-card telling them you care
- Laying out a fresh towel in the morning
- Making the bed in the morning
- Leaving a piece of their favorite candy where they will find it
- Doing someone else’s chore for them
- Make a phone call or leave someone an encouraging voicemail
- An email for no reason but to say hello
- Making a date or plans that they can look forward to
- Buying a small present, and giving a coupon to enjoy time together using it (like a frisbee or a yard game or movie)
All of these are quick and easy things to do to make someone’s day!