Being a professional organizer I get asked a lot how I manage my own time, family and home. I follow the same principle I tell you about….a place for everything and everything in it’s place. I also try to give myself every advantage I can. I know that I’ll be facing busy days, crazy schedules and the need for a nap, just like you. If I’m kind to myself today, tomorrow is easier. If I'm kind to myself today, tomorrow is easier. Click To Tweet
1. I put out my coffee making items the night before. I most frequently use a french press to make coffee. In the evening, I scoop the coffee into it, get my mug out and make sure the kettle is full and ready to boil in the morning. When I arrive in the office in the morning, blurry eyed, all I have to do is hit start on the kettle.
2. I write my to do list for tomorrow before I go to bed. Again, I know that I’ll be tired in the morning and my brain might be on a time delay. If I write down what I need to accomplish first thing in the morning, there is no thought required, just action.
3. I look at my vision board at least twice a day. My vision board represents and depicts the life I have imagined for myself. Looking at it a few times a day allows me to consider if the activities I’m doing NOW are helping me get closer to those goals. If not, I can reassess.
4. I sort my mail every day. I hate going through large piles of paper. I find that if I sort my mail daily, I spend just a minute or two dealing with it. If it builds up, not only do I dread the task, it takes much longer. I stand over the recycling bin and toss anything I don’t want or need, put the rest in my in bin on my desk and I’m done. (My shredder is close by too.)
5. I pick up the couch/living room. This is another task that takes just a few minutes of my time. There are always pillows on the floor, blankets unfolded and coffee mugs around. I spend just a few minutes putting it all right again so that when I wake up in the morning, I don’t see a disaster area. It’s a mind set of allowing myself the best start to the day possible. If you keep up with this process, it will remain quick and easy.
What do you do every day to make your day easier and more productive? Tell me in the comments below!