Getting organized isn’t all about putting things away and having a catalog worthy home. Getting organized is about living your best life. It’s about accomplishing your goals, feeling great at the end of the day and getting the most out of everything you have.
I wanted to give you a few tips to change the way you think about getting organized and possibly even change the way you think about your routines. These tips can be digested over time and applied to your own life. Take what works for you and discard the rest. Love something? Share it with a friend.
1. If you can’t change it, don’t worry about it. This takes practice. But in many cases the only think you get from worrying is more anxiety.
2. Any time you have a complaint or a negative thought, stop yourself and have a positive one. Thinking only about a problem won’t help you out. Brainstorm a solution and change the way you’re thinking right away. Positive thoughts lead to more positive thoughts.
3. Eat the best food you can afford. Join a CSA, shop locally and eat healthy. Doing so will give you the energy to achieve your goals.
4. Make time for family and friends. Call them, email them and visit as often as possible. Write letters and send flowers when you can.
5. Be nice. Say “hello”, “good morning” and “thank you”. Learn the names of the people who make your coffee, clean your office and deliver your mail. Simply being polite will set you apart.
6. Leave spaces better than you find them. Leave the conference room cleaner or turn off the lights before you leave the room.
7. Do what good, when you can, where you can.
8. Recycle everything you can. Donate everything you can. Reuse everything you can.
9. Exercise. Take care of your body and it will take care of you.
10. Be present. Put your electronics away and enjoy the moment. Encourage others around you to do the same.
11. Meditate. You don’t need a special space or equipment. Simply sit quietly for a few minutes a day. Breathe deeply and focus on the positive in your life. This few minutes of calm can carry you throughout the day.
12. Express gratitude. Too much laundry to do? Be grateful you have clothing? Tired of cooking? You’re blessed to have food. Change the way you think and you’ll change your whole life.
Your Turn: Pick one of these and do it tomorrow.
Let Us Know: What do YOU do to feel more positive?