Eating healthy means buying a lot of fresh food and produce. Keeping all of that fresh for a long time can be a challenge. It is important to focus on this so that you can maximize your food, minimize your budget and spend less time running to the store.
1. Avoid washing berried until you’re ready to eat them. The water promotes mold.
2. Aluminum foil helps keep celery fresh. Wrap it up and pop it in the fridge.
3. Potatoes, onions and tomatoes should be stored in a cool place, but not the fridge.
4. Salad greens should be stored in an airtight bag. Leave a little air in there.
5. Items that are not ripe yet like pears and bananas, should be stored on the counter. When they are ripe, move them to the fridge.
6. Citrus can be stored in a cool dry place out of the fridge. However, if you want to prolong its life, move it to the fridge in a mesh bag.
7. Veggies like broccoli, carrots and lettuce are already starting to go bad when you buy them. Put them each in their own separate bag (DRY!) in the fridge.
8. Buy what you need when you need it. By meal planning and buying those ingredients, you are minimizing your excess.
9. Shop more often. It is time consuming but if you can purchase what you need when you need it.
10. Investigate delivery services in your area. Stop and Shop offers Pea Pod and even some farmer’s markets offer delivery and co-op services every week.
11.If you do cut and wash your fruits and veggies ahead of time, put them in clear glass containers. Being able to see them will remind you to eat them and they will stay cool and dry. Add a paper towel to the container to absorb moisture.
12. Some fruits and vegetables should not be stored together. For a great list visit: http://www.realsimple.com/food-recipes/avoid-premature-spoiling-fruits-vegetables-10000000681591/
Eating healthy shouldn’t be difficult. If something goes bad quickly, pay attention to how you stored it and where and when you bought it. Ask your grocer when fruits and veggies arrive and shop on those days. Make a list of what works for you and go from there!